10963_wpm_lowresThis weekend there was a fire at a Grand Rapids home; it was started by a cigarette butt that wasn’t quite extinguished.  The fire spread from that home to 11 other homes. Many of these people, who had no control over what happened, lost everything.  The fire was at a local apartment complex, and while this is a very sad and tragic story, it is made even worse by the fact that many of those people did not have Renter’s Insurance to cover their losses.  Many people don’t realize that they are at risk for this type of loss, but the truth is that the actions of others can affect us all.  Also, many don’t know that while their landlord does carry insurance on their buildings, that insurance does not cover the resident contents.  For just a few dollars a month you can protect the contents of your home and have your housing expenses covered until you can be restored or moved to your new residence.  Renter’s Insurance can’t prevent tragedies like this one, but it can help to alleviate much of the stress.  Talk to your friendly PCE Insurance agent for more details on how to make sure you are properly covered.  See photos and the MLive.com article here.  See the WZZM13 story here.